The project originated with the owners who owned two lots, a flat and a storage room, in the secondary building of the residence "Le Californie" in Cannes. The project consisted of refurbishing, transforming and reconstructing (internally) these existing lots to create two flats one above the other.
"Le Californie" was initially a hotel built in 1876 according to the plans of the Cannes architect Laurent Vianney. The wing in question, a grand and majestic building with a 12 metres ceiling height, was used to start with as the restaurant of the hotel. The interior walls were covered with splendid staff sculptures. In 1913, the wing was transformed into a ballroom and all the walls were covered with frescoes.